What is Red Light Therapy (RLT)?
Red light therapy (RLT) is a therapeutic technique that uses red low-level wavelengths of light to treat skin issues, such as wrinkles, scars, and persistent wounds, among other conditions.
In the early 1990s, Red Light Therapy was used by scientists to help grow plants in space. The scientists found that the intense light from red light-emitting diodes (LEDs) helped promote the growth and photosynthesis of plant cells.
Red Light Therapy was then studied for its potential application in medicine, even more specifically to find out if it could increase energy inside human cells. The researchers hoped that Red Light Therapy could be an effective way to treat muscle atrophy, slow wound healing, and help bone density issues caused by weightlessness during space travel.
How does Red Light Therapy work?
Red light therapy produces a biochemical effect in cells that strengthen the mitochondria. The mitochondria are the powerhouse of the cell, it’s where the cell’s energy is created. The energy-carrying molecule found in the cells of all living things is called ATP (adenosine triphosphate).
By stimulating and increasing the function of the mitochondria using Red Light Therapy, a cell can actually generate more ATP. With added energy, cells can function more efficiently, rejuvenate themselves, and repair cell damage.
Red Light Therapy (RLT) is different from Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) therapies because it doesn’t cause damage to the skin surface. Laser and pulsed light therapies primarily work by causing controlled damage to the outer layer of the skin, which then induces tissue regeneration. Red Light Therapy bypasses this abrasive step by directly stimulating the regeneration of the skin. The unique light emitted by Red Light Therapy penetrates roughly 5 millimeters below the surface of the skin.
How is Red Light Therapy currently used and what are the benefits?
Ever since the initial experiments performed in space, there have been hundreds of clinical studies and thousands of laboratory studies conducted to determine if Red Light Therapy has medical wellness benefits.
Many studies have had very promising results. Currently there is such evidence to suggest that Red Light Therapy may have the following benefits:
- Promotes wound healing and tissue repair.
- Improves hair growth in people with androgenic alopecia.
- Help for the short-term treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Stimulates healing of slow-healing wounds such as diabetic foot ulcers.
- Reduces psoriasis lesions.
- Aids with short-term relief of pain and morning stiffness in people with rheumatoid arthritis.
- Reduces some of the side effects of cancer treatments, including oral mucositis.
- Improves skin complexion and builds collagen to reduce wrinkles.
- Helps to mend sun damage.
- Prevents recurring cold sores from herpes simplex virus infections.
- Improves the health of joints in people with degenerative osteoarthritis of the knee.
- Helps diminish scars.
- Relieves pain and inflammation in people with pain in the Achilles’ tendons.
Come and experience advanced Red Light Therapy at Pace Yourself To Health today and Live Better!